Tuesday, September 17, 2013

JMU Cake

 Happy Birthday yesterday Katherine.!!!!! :D One of my close friends from JMU had a birthday yesterday..her name is Katherine. Now that we're on the same page... :) I asked her if she had any ideas for a type of cake that she'd like..and JMU was thrown out there..and never having made a JMU-esque cake...I thought that that would be appropriate and good. yesh.
I based the pattern on the top of the cake on a JMU quilt that I have- I thought it'd give the cake a visually different, interesting look.! First I iced the entire cake with buttercream mixed with a bit of yellow food gel. Shout out to my boyfriend for helping me hand whisk the icing- his big muscles came in handy because I was without a mixer. Also thank you to his friends for letting me take over their kitchen the other night. Yepp. Anyways. Then I used a toothpick to draw the straight lines for the checkerboard pattern. I filled a piping bag with some icing dyed purple, and piped in the purple diamonds, using a small flat spatula to smooth the icing. I put a sugar pearl at the corner of each diamond. Then I piped the dotted white diamonds on top of everything, and piped extra decorations around the sides of the cake.! Hoorah.

No comments:

Post a Comment