Thursday, August 2, 2012

Basket of Crabs Cake


It was recently my Grandpa's 83rd birthday, and he wanted to have a huge party. Of course I would be making his cake, and he requested a musical one but other than that, it was up to me & kept a secret until we unveiled it at his big outdoor birthday bash. For anyone that knows my Grandpa, a basket of crabs and a beer on some newspapers with an old bay can was the perfect choice for a cake. As always, I wasn't exactly sure how everything would end up coming together, but it did end up coming together.! I obviously didn't make the Old Bay can, but my uncle fixed it up so when you hit a button on it, it played "Here for a Good Time" by George Strait. I made the crabs and the PBR can out of rice krispy treats covered with colored gumpaste. I used food gel for the crabs eyes. I used edible markers to decorate the PBR can. The cake itself is four 14 in rounds stacked on top of each other- alternating layers of vanilla and chocolate. I iced everything with chocolate buttercream. The "basket" is made of more gumpaste that I dyed with brown food gel, rolled out and cut into strips. I cut grooves into the surface to emulate wood, and rubbed cocoa powder on the surface to give a more realistic dirty crab holding basket look..!

No comments:

Post a Comment