Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Flower Pot Cupcakes

 I wanted to create something special and different to commemorate my stepmom's birthday this year- she just celebrated sixty wonderful years if you can believe it.! She's an avid gardener, and so I decided to challenge myself by making realistic varied miniature flower pot cupcakes rather than one huge cake.
 I started off by baking chocolate raspberry cupcakes. I ground up some oreos to simulate dirt in my food processor. While the cupcakes cooled, I got to work on my gumpaste flowers.
 I used several different shades of food gel to achieve a variety of colors, and brushed nearly everything with shades of shimmer dust for an added sheen. I used different flower cutters and tools to knead, roll out, and mold gumpaste into a variety of flowers and leaves to fill the miniature "clay" pots with. While the gumpaste dried, I first iced the bottom of the cupcakes. After using small amounts of brown, orange, and red food gel to achieve a clay earthenware look, I rolled the gumpaste out thinly and evenly to carefully smooth over the bottom of each cupcake. I attached an extra strip of gumpaste around the edge to create the flower pot rim. Next, each cupcake's top was iced, covered with a generous amount of oreo dirt, and then "planted" with flowers.!

No comments:

Post a Comment