Monday, April 27, 2015

Beachy Sea Creature Cake

 I made this cake for my friend Olivia- do you see it.?! (The Octopus is the O, a seaweed L, seaweed I's dotted with starfish, two crabs fighting to form the V, and a pink fish A.!) First, I iced the cake with lightly tinted blue icing. I just barely mixed a small amount of light blue food gel into white icing to create various shades of blue and white waves. Next, I covered a third of the cake with a sand mixture I made by mixing graham crackers and a little bit of brown sugar in a food processor.
Then, I crafted each sea creature out of gumpaste- an edible clay that I like to use. It's very pliable and easy to work with but I would suggest only using a small amount at a time, and always remember to keep the rest of your gumpaste tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and stowed in a sealed plastic ziploc; exposure to air will harden the gumpaste very quickly and make it impossible to work with. I also like to use food gel to tint icings and decorations, because you can use a very small amount and achieve a more intense, exact color than with food coloring without compromising the composition of the material. I added yellow sprinkles on the star fish by rubbing a small amount of water onto the gumpaste stars before sprinkling them on. Lastly, I accented the cake with edible pearls for an extra pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment