Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pirate Cake


Here we go! I LOVE this cake.! I made a pirate carrot cake for Jay's Birthday :) I found a picture of a pirate-esque skull and swords online that I liked, modified the colors a bit and traced over the picture using color flow icing. It's a time consuming process (HOURS) and the result is extremely fragile, but I like the look and creativity it allows as long as you have the time and patience. The more different colors you have for your color flow image, the longer it will take to mix the icings, and be aware of the different consistencies needed. I typically draw or trace an image onto parchment paper and tape that onto a flat cardboard cake circle to ensure a flat surface. Tape wax paper on top of that, and then you're ready to pipe on color flow icing.! Make sure to let areas dry fully, so I recommend tracing out an area in icing and then working on a different part for awhile before coming back to fill that spot in. After allowing color flow decorations to dry for AT LEAST a day, CAREFULLY remove by slowly running the wax paper over a table or counter edge until the decoration is loosened.

No comments:

Post a Comment