Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Turkey Cookies


Okay..I know these aren't cake related in any way but get over it.! I wanted to make something simple and Thanksgiving-esque..so turkey cookies were the way to go. I made sugar cookie dough (I always add a little bit of nutmeg to taste) and chilled until it was firm enough to roll out and deal with. On a floured surface, cut out turkey shapes- whatever your interpretation of that may be. I also had leave shaped pie cutters, hence the autumnal leaves surrounding my turkeys :) Bake the sugar cookies until lightly browned on the edges (6-8 mins-ish..?) and let cool.! I feel like these turkeys looked better in real life because in the picture their mottled tye-dye feathers blends into the wooden table..but I may be biased. ANYWAYS. I made a simple icing out of confectioner's sugar and just enough milk to liquify the mixture. I split that into three separate bowls and used food gel to color one bowl brown, one golden yellow, and one orange. Then pipe a ring of brown around the outside of a turkey cookie, followed by yellow, then orange, etc. until you fill up the entire cookie. It will run. It's okay. Take a toothpick and drag to create feathers and mix the colors- from the bottom middle to the outside edges all the way around. I used dark chocolate candy melts for the turkey body, and formed the eyes, beak, and wattle out of gumpaste.! HAPPY THANKSGIVING e'rrybody.!

No comments:

Post a Comment