Thursday, November 8, 2012

Star Wars Cake


I made this cake for my little cousin Matthew's 7th birthday.! He's a big fan of Star Wars, and has a book called Darth Vader and Son (by Jeffrey Brown) that has comical one page illustrations of father and son bonding. I re-created Matthew's favorite illustration from the book out of colorflow icing- Vader playing a simple game of baseball with his son, with Luke joyously slicing the baseball in half with his lightsaber.! I can't at all take credit for the idea, but do think that the re-creation with icing turned out well. I piped the figures a few days in advance to allow the icing to dry thoroughly before carefully placing the fragile pieces onto the cake. I decided to ice the cake itself with dark blue icing dotted with white stars of various sizes (brushed with pearl shimmer dust) in keeping with the Star Wars motif, and also piped "May the force be with you Matthew" with white icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment