Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cars Cake


 This Cars Cake was for a very special birthday.! My little nephew Trey is one of my favorite people ever and just so adorable and sweet...and he's already a year old.! The theme of the party was obviously everything Cars. The cake itself was a marbled red velvet and yellow cake that I cut and shaped to emulate desert dunes. I iced the cake with a sandy desert color dyed frosting, and then sprinkled a mixture of graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar all over the cake. For the road, I processed some oreos, and laid them down in a curvy manner. Everything else I made ahead of time. The road sign I cut out of thinly rolled gumpaste, and then used a toothpick dipped in black food gel to freehand the birthday message. The traffic cones I made by cutting small orange circles of gumpaste, slightly stretching them out to form the base of each, and then topping with more orange gumpaste shaped to form a cone, and a thin stripe of white gumpaste. Lightning & Mater took forever to make. I formed the basic car shape out of gumpaste using sculpting tools, and then basically added a lot of extras. Lightning has a lightning bolt on his front, flames on both sides, and a '1' on his back. I also used a toothpick dipped in orange food gel to trace detail into those features, and used black to outline his eyelids.To attach gumpaste to gumpaste, use a brush dipped in water, and voila.! To give Mater another layer of dirt & rust, I rubbed some cocoa powder on him. As you can see, I also made a smaller cake just for Trey to play with. I recreated the 'Cars' logo with his name instead out of white chocolate and red candy melts. Unfortunately, Trey was really tired and overwhelmed by all the people at his big birthday party so he didn't really go crazy with the cake when we wanted him to.


 He did like it though.!

 And he's just so stinkin' cute.! :)
 There's a little blue icing on his face...
Me & Baby :) Baby nephew Trey..I'll just be obnoxiously cliche and say it but I can't believe he's already 1..!

No comments:

Post a Comment