Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Baby Mickey Mouse Cake

 I made this Baby Mickey Mouse themed cake for my friend Katherine's baby shower.! She is about to have a little boy- so excited for her and proud- she's going to be a wonderful mommy with lots of love to give :)
I made yellow buttons and stars out of gumpaste, then applied edible gold glitter to add some sparkle. I also made baby blue and white circles to form Mickey Mouse faces & ears. Then I made smaller baby blue polka dots for the white silhouetttes, and smaller white polka dots for the blue silhouettes. 

 The actual sleeping baby Mickey with blanket and teddy bear I traced using color flow icing. First, I sketched out the picture with a pencil on parchment paper (based on an image I found online). Then, I taped a layer of wax paper over the parchment paper on a flat surface. I mixed up the color flow icing, and separated it into different containers and used a variety of food gels to create the different colors used. Then I carefully piped over the image again using the icing- this is very time consuming, but ends up with an awesome product if you do it right.! I let everything dry very well over night before carefully sliding the waxed paper across the edge of a table in order to free the decoration. Go slow with this, the color flow decorations are extremely fragile.!
 Katherine cutting her cake.! :P I piped a basic shell border in baby blue tinted icing around the edges of the cake, and added all of the gumpaste embellishments. Before I baked the cake, I took out half of the vanilla batter and added a small amount of blue food gel. Then, I swirled the white and blue batters in the pan- hence the swirled effect of the finished cake.!

No comments:

Post a Comment