Monday, March 7, 2016

Bacon Rosebud Cake

 Well, this was truly a labor of love since I don't eat bacon. I tend to sway towards making visually creative cakes, but as I've made creations based on several different favorite shows, books, and movies for my friend Hannah's past birthdays, I decided to try something new and be creative in a different way.! I have heard of treats including bacon, and imagine that the sweet and salty combo works well together.
 Bacon rosebuds are surprisingly simple to make, and turn out pretty cool.! I referenced this site to make mine (http://ourbestbites.com/2013/01/how-to-make-a-bacon-bouquet/) but the quick recap is, wrap up slices of bacon, fatty side to the bottom, and insert two toothpicks at the base. I covered a baking pan in foil and placed the bacon roses on a cooling rack, and baked them at 400 degrees for about 30 mins.
                               
Here they are.! So first I made a rich chocolate cake base. As the cake was cooling, I prepared the bacon rosebuds and fried the remainder of the pack of bacon. Then, I whipped up some brown sugar frosting..!!! Yumm. I got the basic recipe from this website (http://zimonawhim.com/2013/03/11/brown-sugar-frosting/) and it is amazing.!! I decided to use dark brown sugar and also added a pinch of sea salt- sooo good.! I put a thin layer of icing in between the cakes and crumbled up some bacon there, as well as on the top of the cake. I piped a shell border around the top and bottom of the cake, encircling the bacon rosebuds, and finished it off with a dusting of white sprinkles.!

No comments:

Post a Comment