Thursday, April 14, 2016

Bunny Cake


I lovvve how cute this turned out!!!! My friend wanted an outdoor, spring-y  themed cake and accompanying smash cake for her daughter's second Birthday. I had seen the general idea for this cake before, and couldn't wait to try it myself. What a simple, cute, fun spin on a smash cake.! I tend to always want to overcomplicate designs and start on projects in an overambitious mindset. Granted, I'm sure the 2 year old would be just as happy with a lot less, but I enjoyed creating the mini bunny cake!

First, I baked two 6 in rounds of cake. As the cake cooled, I rolled out white gumpaste (basically edible clay) thin, and cut out and formed the shapes for the bunny's big feet. I used different sized icing tips to cut out the pads of the bunny's feet with pink tinted gumpaste, and used a tiny amount of water to adhere the gumpaste to the gumpaste. I then formed the bunny paws using gumpaste as well, and set the decorations to the side to dry and harden. Next, I iced the cake with light green buttercream. I used my large multi opening grass decorating tip to place tufts of grass all around the cake and where the bunny would be popping out. ***I striped a bit of extra green food gel down the side of the inside of my piping bag to add extra variation. To make the bunny head, I bought pre-made rice krispy treats. I microwaved 3 of the treats for about 12 seconds- you don't want them very heated but just enough that you can mold them together- rubbed a liberal amount of cooking spray on my hands so the treats wouldn't stick to me, and formed the shape I wanted and refrigerated briefly. Then, I added the feet and paws to the cake, then formed the ears out of - you guessed it - more gumpaste.!!! The ears I let dry on their sides to maintain the bent shape, and stuck a toothpick part way up each ear so I would later be able to attach them to the main bunny rice krispy treat head.! I covered the head with more gumpaste, added the eyes, nose, and whiskers, ears, and finished everything up with more tufts of grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment