Friday, October 19, 2012

Penguin Iceberg Cake



My friend Bryan requested a penguin cake for his girlfriend's birthday. I LOVE penguins so was more than up for the challenge.! I immediately thought about making the entire cake an iceberg with a water slide and pool of water full of penguins. First I stacked and iced three 9 in cakes, and then cut part of another round to form the "hill," frosted everything, and covered the cake with white snow-like sparkles. I made a curvy water slide out of blue icing, and iced the inside of the pool with the same blue icing. I later piped set blue jello to fill up the pool. Jello makes fun "water" for cakes..trust me. Structurally, this cake was a challenge. I added several dowels but still had to deal with a lot of slippage due to the weight and composition..O_o.. The penguins I made out of gumpaste. I also added piped purple snowflakes made from candy melts.!

No comments:

Post a Comment