Thursday, February 18, 2016

Tool Cake

I made this cake for one of my Mom's best friends, and one of our oldest,closest family friends. He teaches high school shop class- and somehow, today is his 50th (!!!) Birthday.!
First, I baked three cakes in 9 in rounds and let them cool. Then, I iced the entire cake with vanilla buttercream tinted with a small amount of brown food gel. Next, I kneaded some brown food gel into gumpaste (an edible clay-like dough). I did not mix the gumpaste completely because I wanted to achieve a subtle swirled "wood-like" appearance with varying shades of brown and tan. Then, I used a roller to roll the gumpaste out flat and fairly thin, and used my rolling pastry cutter to form enough "strips of wood" to cover the top of the cake. I used more brown food gel and sculpting tools to form the hammer handle. I then sculpted the hammer head and several nails with gumpaste that I spray painted with silver color mist. I stuck a real circular saw blade inside the cake, and crumbled up a graham cracker over to create "sawdust." I finished the cake off by wrapping a few layers of wide bright blue ribbon around the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment